UCU members elect a branch committee every year at the Annual General Meeting to shape, lead and facilitate the branch member-led campaigns and activities.
It really matters that the committee is representative, both in the diversity of people and contract types. If you’re interested and would like to know more, please get in touch with me or one of the current committee members. You don’t have to have experience of being a union rep to be on the committee.
Nominations open in early April for all the elected committee roles for the following academic year*:
- Ordinary committee member (14 spaces)
- Honorary secretary
- Membership officer
- Equality officer
- Campaigns officer
- Health and safety officer
- Anti-casualisation officer
Some ordinary committee members are likely to be asked to take a lead on particular issues. These roles are not elected separately.
If you want to take the lead on one of the following issues it might be helpful if that was written on your nomination
- Ordinary committee member (postgraduate members rep)
- Ordinary committee member (migrant members rep)
- Ordinary committee member (migrant postgraduate members rep)
- Ordinary committee member (women members rep)
- Ordinary committee member (black members rep)
- Ordinary committee member (disabled members rep)
- Ordinary committee member (LGBT+ members rep)
- Ordinary committee member (pensions rep)
- Ordinary committee member (environment rep)
Nominations for all committee positions must be sent to the branch administrator by 3.45 on the day before the AGM. Check your branch emails for the date and venue for the current year’s AGM.
The UCU office is closed because of the covid-19 lockdown so we are not accepting paper this year. Please email your nomination to email@example.com. You don’t need to give reasons for your nomination, just please make clear what role you are nominating them for.
(The branch rules say nominations must be accompanied by the written consent of the nominee and supported by the identifiable signatures of two members of the local association. If there have been insufficient nominations to fill all committee places before the meeting further nominations to fill remaining vacancies may be proposed from the floor of the Annual General Meeting. Nominations for officers and committee for the ensuing year may be made by any member of the branch.)
(*the committee can appoint up to 4 additional members to the committee)
Our branch rules go into more detail about the roles of different officers, election processes etc.