UCU’s higher education committee (HEC) today voted to officially censure Trinity College, Cambridge and will call on staff worldwide to boycott the institution unless it reverses its decision to pull out of the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS). At a meeting of the college’s Fellows this morning, a motion to reconsider the decision to withdraw from USS was lost by 43 votes to 76. The union will set up a special committee to consider what action the boycott would entail and it may include asking HE staff to:
- not attend, speak at or organise academic or other conferences at Trinity
- not apply for jobs at Trinity
- not give lectures at Trinity
- not accept positions as visiting professors or researchers at Trinity
- not write for any academic journal which is edited from Trinity
- not take up new contracts as external examiners.
(Post from UCU national website)