1. Next steps on Statutes, including discussion of academic censure and boycott.
1.1. Motion on the continuance of our dispute with the university (link)
2. Motion: adoption of modified UCU model local rules (link)
3. Motion: donation to UCU University of Manchester branch fighting fund
This local association agrees to donate £200 to the UCU University of Manchester who are striking over job cuts.
Proposed by the committee
4. Election of UCU congress representatives
Please submit nominations to the branch administrator by 24 hours before the start of the meeting.
5. Motions to (1) the Higher Education Special Sector Conference to determine national UCU industrial strategy and (2) the decision-making conference of pre-92 branches to determine a response to proposals in respect to USS.
These conferences have been convened by UCU at short notice so we won’t be able to give the usual deadlines for submitting and circulating motions. Please submit motions by 24 hours before the general meeting so that we can print copies; you can submit motions up to the start of the general meeting but you will need to bring sufficient copies for members at the meeting. Two motions have already been submitted by the committee for discussion at the general meeting these are:
5.1. Motions to the Higher Education Special Sector Conference to determine national UCU industrial strategy
5.1.1. Motion: Campaigning alongside other disputes and campaigns (link)
5.2. Motions to the decision-making conference of pre-92 branches to determine a response to proposals in respect to USS.
5.2.1. Motion: Challenging the terms of debate (link)
UCU members at the emergency general meeting this Thursday will vote on a motion proposing a further three days of strike action, and another asking UCU to begin its academic boycott, in the dispute over the changes to the university statutes. Full text below. Only members who attend the meeting are allowed to vote. Please attend if you can. The meeting is Thursday 14 September, 1pm–2pm, Mechanical Engineering lecture theatre B. The meeting will also discuss further threats to our pensions, based … Continue reading →
The President of the local association has convened an Emergency General Meeting to discuss the next steps in the Statutes dispute. Here are some suggestions: Assessment boycott Strikes – one day/several days/indefinite Other action – what do you suggest? If you have a proposal for the meeting, please send it to email@example.com It is vital that we get a representative view of our members, so please do make an effort to attend this important meeting. The meeting will be … Continue reading →
All members are invited to a UCU University of Leeds local association emergency general meeting on Wednesday 6 July at 1pm, in Clothworkers North Building lecture theatre 2.31 (cinema). The agenda is: 1. EU referendum result To discuss and debate the implications of the EU referendum for our university and the sector 2. IT restructure An update from the negotiating team 3. UCU president The committee has voted to appoint Tim Goodall as president for 2016-17 under rule 8.9 because … Continue reading →
1. Motion to recommend rejection of the offer This UCU branch believes that the current ‘potential agreement’ offer represents a major cut in pensions. The offer accepts the parameters of the huge projected deficit, and cuts pensions to fill this gap. As well as ending Final Salary, it concedes the principle of a Defined Contribution element for contributions over £55,000 that allows the Employer to cut their contributions to 12%, provides members with no certainty about the value of their … Continue reading →