Leeds UCU is holiding a special meeting to discuss union democracy and the work of the UCU Democracy Commission on Thursday 7th November at 1 pm Roger Stevens LT 16 (12.16. See directions and accessibility info.). The meeting will also consider the emergency motion on Rojava deferred from the last General Meeting through lack of time.
- The Democracy Commission was elected and convened following an important motion to Congress 2018 in the wake of concerns regarding democratic structures and processes in the union during and after the 2018 USS strikes. There were particular concerns about the accountability of the leadership.
- The Commission was co-chaired by our very own Vicky Blake (past President of Leeds UCU and now UK Vice President), and our Campaigns Officer Lesley McGorrigan is also on the commission.
- Vicky Blake will be joining us to give some background and explain the proposals in the final report.
- The Democracy Commission brought an interim report and recommendations to Congress 2019, and presents its final report and recommendations at the Special Congress on 7 December. We now need to feed back our views from the branch. Our delegates (elected at our last General Meeting) will represent us and they need to know what you think!
You can read the Final Report of the Democracy Commission here: http://www.ucu.org.uk/circ/html/ucu975.html
Our Extraordinary General Meeting on 7th November
- This will discuss the report and motions submitted by members for the Special Congress in December.
- Members please submit any motions you wish to be put forward to the Special Congress from the meeting by 10 am Tuesday 5 November by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As a branch we are able to submit one normal motion and one amendment to the Special Congress. We are also able to send Rule Change motions which are not limited in number. This makes the meeting on 7 November extra important because we may need to also vote on a priority of which goes forward.
For more details see the UCU Democracy Commission website https://www.ucu.org.uk/democracycommission