Members of the branch voted for the following motion at a general meeting 5 December 2023:
This branch notes:
Palestinians in Gaza have been subjected to Israeli bombardment for more than 45 days;
As of 21/11/23, it is reported that 1200 people in Israel and over 14,000 Palestinians have been killed, including 5,800+ children, with 6,800 missing and 1.7 million displaced;
Israeli leaders have expressed genocidal intent, including direct and public incitement to commit genocide in Gaza;
The Israeli bombardment has damaged or destroyed over 250 educational facilities, including UNRWA schools and all three major universities (the Islamic University, Al-Azhar University, Al-Aqsa University)
More than 100 educational staff and 2000 students have been killed;
A rising tide of antisemitism and Islamophobia.
This branch resolves to:
- Stand in solidarity with Palestinian university students and staff;
- Contest Islamophobia and antisemitism, ensuring that Jewish people across the world are not held responsible for the actions of the Israeli state.
- Condemn the assault and siege on Gaza, and demand an immediate permanent ceasefire and withdrawal of Israeli forces including from the West Bank;
- Establish a committee to implement UCU national policy to support Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions;
- Build links with scholars, universities, and academic unions in Palestine, including initiatives for joint teaching and research, exchanges, scholarships, and twinning;
- Protect academic freedom and freedom of expression for all staff and students at the University of Leeds, including a letter calling on senior management to provide explicit support and protection against harassment, racism, and silencing resulting from supporting Palestinian rights.
This post is subject to the approval of the minutes of the general meeting 5 December 2023.
This page was last updated on 5 December 2023