IMPORTANT: members should refer to the latest emails from branch officers for the latest advice
Motion carried at emergency general meeting 9 February 2023. The motion was carried on the understanding that members working on visas will need to report strike action in the way requested by the employer in line with UCU advice for migrant members on taking action.
This branch notes that –
- on 6 February 2023, the university unveiled one of the most punitive approaches to industrial action ever taken in UK Higher Education:
- threatening 100% pay deductions for refusing to reschedule strike-affected teaching as part of ASOS;
- pressuring staff to inform line managers in advance of strike participation; and
- requiring all members of staff to individually confirm to their manager whether they have or have not participated in strike action.
This branch further notes that –
- strike reporting via both Employee Self Service (ESS) and directly to line managers will enable the University to easily identify people to pursue for 100% pay deductions for engaging in ASOS;
- the branch previously passed a motion (8 March 2022) resolving to provide members with options for reporting strike action to HR in different ways;
- the response set out below draws on action taken by members of Queen Mary, University of London branch when facing similarly punitive deductions.
The branch resolves to advise members to –
- CONTINUE to take ASOS and not reschedule teaching impacted by strike action;
- NOT declare their intention to participate in strike action in advance to their managers, which is not legally required in any case;
- NOT report individual strike action to line managers afterwards;
- Take the MAXIMUM reasonable amount of time to respond to managers’ requests for information about teaching activities affected upon return to work.
The branch further resolves that, until the University withdraws the threat of 100% pay deductions, members should –
- SUSPEND reporting strike action using ESS.
This post was published 30 March 2023 (dated to the time of the meeting, after which members were advised by email.)
This page was last updated on 30 March 2023