This emergency motion was agreed by the branch at a general meeting 25 January 2022
We note that the University has complied with Government guidelines during the COVID-19 epidemic, including, for instance, encouraging staff and students to wear masks.
There is compelling evidence that wearing medical-grade respirators such as N95 / FFP2s in crowded and indoor settings, ensuring adequate ventilation of indoor spaces and social distancing reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other airborne infection.
We note the UK Government has lifted all COVID-19 restrictions. Yet, COVID-19 remains a significant public health concern, particularly but not exclusively for shielding groups.
This branch believes that:
The University must continue to adopt best public health practice.
This branch therefore demands of the employers:
- The provision of FFP2 respirators for all staff and students.
- An expectation that all staff and students will wear respirators in crowded places unless exempt.
- The continued monitoring of workspaces to ensure they are ventilated.
- Appropriate management of teaching and other spaces to facilitate social distancing.
- Continued opportunities for staff and students to work at home, particularly for staff and students who need to shield.
Proposed by Nick Emmel. Moved by Nick Emmel, seconded by Ipek Demir. The motion was carried.
Members may wish to refer to UCU national guidance at https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/12277/Health–safety-guidance-for-UCU-reps-Jan-2022/pdf/H_S_guidance_omicron_Jan22.pdf
This page was last updated on 31 March 2022