This motion was agreed by the branch at a general meeting on Thursday 25 November
This branch notes:
- That Goldsmiths UCU is in dispute over 20 FTE planned redundancies as part of SMT’s Academic Portfolio Review (APR) aimed at reducing staff costs.
- That a further 32 redundancies are planned in professional services, directly affecting the working conditions of academic staff and students.
- That moves towards restructuring at Goldsmiths are already having a seriously detrimental effect on the functioning of the university, such that basic services for staff and students are collapsing.
- That SMT has employed union-busting tactics in the past, and is currently delaying payment to key GUCU branch officials for carrying out trade union activities.
- The determination of GUCU members to fight for decent working conditions for all staff at Goldsmiths.
This branch believes:
- That the planned cuts at Goldsmiths follow a pattern of financialisation increasingly seen across UK Higher Education Institutions, whereby financial pressures from banking partners are used to justify restructures that prioritise the cutting of frontline staff while increasing managerial costs.
- That the battle against redundancies and the financialisation of Goldsmiths make GUCU’s dispute one of national significance.
This branch resolves:
- To issue a public statement of solidarity with GUCU’s dispute.
- To make a contribution of £400 to GUCU’s strike fund.
- To write to Frances Corner (Warden) at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and Dinah Caine (Chair of Council) at email@example.com expressing opposition to the redundancies and restructuring.
- To actively support and publicise GUCU’s dispute, strike days and campaign events
Proposed by Chloe Wallace. Moved by Aisha Walker, seconded by Xanthe Whittaker. Motion carried.
This page was last updated on 31 March 2022