This motion was agreed by the branch at an emergency general meeting 15 March 2022
- notes our solidarity with Ukrainian academics and students including those forced to flee due to war.
- We also note that the University recently honoured Esther Simpson, founder of Cara, with a lavish ceremony and building named in her honour.
- We therefore call on the University of Leeds to continue this tradition of solidarity with refugee academics, but also to expand the existing Sanctuary Scholarship scheme to provide funded opportunities for students of any nationality who are currently being made refugees in light of the largest refugee crisis since the Second World War.
- The University of Leeds should immediately offer 6-12 month emergency research fellowships for Ukrainian scholars across all faculties, in line with similar actions taking place at institutions of similar sizes across Europe , such as the University of Aarhus, the Humbldt University in Berlin, the Ludwig-Maximilians-University in Munich, and many others.
- We also express our solidarity with Russian academics and students at risk for speaking out against the war.
Proposed by Eva Frojmovic, moved by Eva Frojmovic, amendment carried, motion as amended carried.
This page was last updated on 1 April 2022